Our work with young people

The NSW Ombudsman can help you if you have a complaint about a NSW government agency as well as some non-government agencies.

You might make a complaint if you are unhappy about the way you have been treated by the agency or an employee in the agency or you have concerns about the standard of service being provided.

Who can I make a complaint about?

We deal with complaints about:

  • juvenile justice and correctional centres
  • community services
  • schools, TAFE and universities
  • FACS housing
  • government authorities such as Transport for NSW
  • youth refuges and boarding houses
  • out of home care services
  • disability services

What can I complain about?

  • unfair treatment
  • lack of access to a service
  • failure to provide a service

If you are unsure about what to do call us free of charge on 1800 451 524.

What do young people complain about?

Here are some examples of the types of issues raised by young people in their complaints to us:

  • they have not been allowed to access a refuge
  • they have experienced a lack of support from community services
  • they have received unfair treatment with regard to suspensions from school
  • they have had difficulty getting access to temporary accommodation provided by FACS Housing

We also visit juvenile justice centres and prisons so young people can make a complaint to us about their treatment or access to programs in detention.

How does it work?

To find out more about how to make a complaint, go to ‘Making a complaint?