Complaints about community services

We can help people who have been unfairly treated by community services that are run or funded by the government.

You have a right to complain about the services you get. If you've tried talking to your service provider or don't feel comfortable, see Get help making a complaint. If we can't help, we will connect you with someone who can.

Children and young people

You can complain to us about community services for children and young people, such as:

  • out-of-home care, including foster care, kinship care and intensive therapeutic care (ITC)
  • leaving care and aftercare
  • child protection services.

Common complaints include:

  • feeling unsafe
  • not knowing what support is available
  • being bullied by other residents
  • quality of food and nutrition
  • difficulty accessing education and training programs
  • reporting serious accidents and incidents
  • how complaints are handled.


Carers, including foster carers and kinship carers, can complain to us about:

  • their case management agency
  • the Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ).

Common complaints include:

  • not getting the right support or training
  • not getting financial help
  • difficulty accessing specialist services for children.

Parents and families

Parents and families can complain to us about:

  • Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ)
  • foster care
  • early intervention services
  • neighbourhood and community centres.

Common complaints include:

  • how much time parents can spend with their children
  • not supporting foster children to maintain contact with their family and culture
  • caseworkers not responding to complaints
  • not explaining how to comply with a DCJ safety plan.

Homelessness services

You can complain to us about homelessness services, such as:

  • refuges for women, young people, families and men
  • crisis accommodation
  • youth homelessness services

Common complaints include:

  • feeling unsafe
  • being told to leave the service but you don’t know why.

Contact us

We will listen to you, give you advice and let you know what we can do to help.

If you feel victimised for making a complaint – tell us. It's a criminal offence to victimise someone for making a complaint to us. We take this very seriously. Contact us