Making a complaint

Complaints we handle

  • NSW Government agencies
    • Health Care Complaints Commission
    • NSW Ambulance
    • NSW Department of Communities & Justice (housing)
    • NSW Fair Trading
    • NSW Health
    • NSW Land and Housing Corporation
    • NSW Trustee and Guardian
    • NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages
    • Public hospitals
    • Revenue NSW
    • State-owned corporations
    • Statutory bodies (including arts institutions)
    • Service NSW
    • Sydney Water and Water NSW
    • Transport for NSW
  • Local Councils
  • NSW corrective services (including privately managed facilities) and youth justice
  • NSW Government funded community service providers
  • NSW education and schools, TAFE, and public universities
  • Public interest disclosures (whistleblowing)
Start an online complaint

Complaints other Ombudsman or agencies handle

  • Private organisations
    • Airlines
    • Banking, credit, insurance or superannuation providers or funds
    • Buying or renting products or consumers goods or services
    • Electricity, gas or water
    • Legal professionals or lawyers
    • Road tolls
    • Phone or internet services
    • Private health services (medical centres, private hospitals, dentists, doctors)
    • Real estate or strata
  • Federal Government agencies
    • Centrelink
    • Australian Tax Office (ATO)
    • Australia Post
    • Immigration
    • Medicare
    • Services Australia (Centrelink, Child Support and Medicare)
  • NSW Police and members
  • National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) providers
  • Private tertiary education providers
  • Aged Care providers
Find the right Ombudsman or agency for you

If you are unhappy with the way you’ve been treated by a NSW Government agency or community service provider, you can make a complaint.

There are many benefits of making a complaint and telling someone about your problem. Complaints can:

  • increase the chance of getting a better outcome
  • help others in similar situations
  • let agencies and service providers know there are problems, and help them improve their services
  • provide you with an explanation for why something has happened
  • give you a greater control of your life.

You have a right to good services and fair treatment. And you have a right to complain to the Ombudsman if that doesn't happen.

Complaints about community services

We can help people who have been unfairly treated by community services that are run or funded by the government.

You have a right to complain about the services you get. Learn more

A woman is helping her grandmother with paperwork.