Fundamentals of complaint handling
Get the skills and confidence to effectively handle customer complaints and engage with complainants.
Who should attend
Frontline staff, supervisors and managers in public, community or private sector organisations who handle customer complaints.
- Pre-workshop online learning (2 hours)
- Half-day workshop (4 hours)
This training covers complaint handling basics, including:
- the value of complaints
- best-practice approaches to complaint handling
- effective communication techniques for engaging with complainants.
Participants get access to the NSW Ombudsman Learnbook online learning platform. This includes a detailed manual and other resources.
The workshop is in two parts:
1. Pre-workshop self-directed online module about the theoretical foundations of effective complaint handling. This includes:
a. self-reflection tasks
b. an online discussion forum with the facilitator and other participants.
2. Workshop led by the facilitator. This covers case studies and other real-world examples related to your professional experience.
As a learner in this training, you will:
- explore the value of effectively managing complaints in your organisation
- get an understanding of why people complain
- examine different types of complaints and complainant behaviours
- learn to identify, record and manage a range of complaints
- learn to apply workplace complaint-handling policies
- learn to manage your physical and emotional wellbeing in the face of complaints.
Need to book training for your team?
We offer this workshop in-house (online or in-person). We can also tailor it to meet your organisation's specific learning needs.
Contact our Community Education and Training Unit or call (02) 9286 0900.
Related training and events
Learn what an effective system for managing complaints is and how to put it in place.
Learn how to manage unreasonable conduct and deliver supporting policies and strategies.
If you need help choosing training that best meets your needs, contact our Community Education and Training Unit.