Complaints others handle

If we aren't able to assist you with your concerns or complaint, there are other Ombudsman or agencies that may be able to help.

Aged care providers

You can complain to the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission on 1800 951 822.

The Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission are the national end-to-end regulator of aged care services and is focused on safeguarding the welfare and rights of consumers.


You can complain to the Airline Customer Advocate on 1800 813 129.

The Airline Customer Advocate (ACA) provides a free and independent service to eligible customers of major Australian airlines by facilitating the resolution of unresolved complaints about airline services.

They look after Qantas, Jetstar, Virgin Australia and Rex only. For any other airlines contact Fair Trading.

Federal Government agencies (Centrelink, Services Australia, ATO)

You can complain to the Commonwealth Ombudsman on 1300 362 072

You can contact Commonwealth Ombudsman with complaints about any of the following:

  • Australian Federal Police
  • Australia Post
  • Australian Tax Office (ATO)
  • Defence agencies (Australian Defence Force, Department of Defence, Department of Veterans’ Affairs, Defence Housing Australia)
  • Immigration
  • International students about private schools, colleges, institutes and universities in Australia
  • Passports
  • Private health insurers
  • Services Australia (Centrelink, Child Support and Medicare)
  • VET Student Loans

Financial services (banks, credit providers, insurance companies, superannuation providers or funds)

You can complain to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) on 1800 931 678.

The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) considers a wide range of complaints from consumers and small businesses about financial firms. You can contact AFCA with complaints about any of the following:

  • Banking deposits and payments
  • Credit providers
  • Funds
  • Insurance companies - for private health insurance see  Commonwealth Ombudsman
  • Investments
  • Loans
  • Superannuation providers

Gas, electricity and private water providers

You can complain to the Energy and Water Ombudsman (EWON) on 1800 246 545.

You can complain to EWON if you have an issue with your electricity, gas or water providers. Examples of providers:

  • AGL
  • Transgrid
  • Energy Australia

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)

You can complain to the NDIS Quality & Safeguards Commission on 1800 035 544

The NDIS Quality & Safeguards Commission can take complaints from anyone about:

  • NDIS services or supports that were not provided in a safe and respectful way
  • NDIS services and support that were not delivered to an appropriate standard
  • How an NDIS provider has managed a complaint about services or support provided to an NDIS participant

NSW Police

You can complain to the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission (LECC) on 1800 657 079

The LECC can receive complaints about  NSW Police and NSW Crime Commission employees.

Phone and internet

You can complain to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO) or 1800 062 058

The TIO are able to handle complaints about telephone and internet services. Some example providers:

  • Dodo
  • iinet
  • Telstra
  • Optus
  • Vodafone

Private businesses (consumer goods and services, shops, tradespeople, real estate agents, strata etc)

You can complain to NSW Fair Trading on 13 32 20

NSW Fair Trading is responsible for the administration of consumer protection laws in NSW.

Private employment and work-related issues

You can complain to the Fair Work Ombudsman on 13 13 94.

The Fair Work Ombudsman enforces compliance with the Fair Work Act , related legislation, awards and registered agreements. They also help employers and employees by providing advice, education and assistance on pay rates and workplace rights and obligations.

Private health services (medical centres, private hospitals, dentists, doctors, psychologists)

You can complain to the Health Care Complaints Commission (HCCC) on 1800 043 159

HCCC deal with complaints about health service providers in NSW.

  • Health organisations (public and private hospitals, medical centres, imaging and radiation services).
  • Registered health practitioners (medical practitioners, nurses, dentists and pharmacists).
  • Non-registered health practitioners (counsellors, speech therapists, massage therapists and alternative health care providers).

Private tertiary education providers

You can complain to the Australian Skills Quality Authority on 1300 701 801

Road tolls

You can complain to the Tolling Customer Ombudsman on 1800 145 009

The Tolling Customer Ombudsman deals with issues arising from travel on the following roads:

  • Cross City Tunnel
  • Eastern Distributor
  • Hills M2
  • Lane Cove Tunnel
  • NorthConnex
  • Westlink M7
  • WestConnex M4
  • M5 West
  • M5 East
  • WestConnex M8

Solicitors and lawyers

You can complain to the Office of the Legal Services Commissioner (OLSC) on 1800 242 958