Child Death Review Team
The NSW Child Death Review Team (CDRT) reviews the deaths of children in NSW. The purpose of the CDRT is to prevent and reduce child deaths.
The NSW Ombudsman is the CDRT Convenor. The NSW Advocate for Children and Young People and the Community and Disability Services Commissioner are ex-officio members. Other members are appointed by the Minister, and include representatives from the Departments of Communities and Justice (child protection and disability), Health, Education, Attorney General and Justice, NSW Police, and the Office of the NSW Coroner, together with independent individuals with expertise in relevant fields, particularly healthcare, forensic pathology and research methodology. Staff from the Ombudsman’s office provide support and assistance to the CDRT in the exercise of its functions.
- Current Child Death Review Team members
- NSW Child Death Review Team Charter
- NSW Child Death Review Team Code of Conduct
- Australian and New Zealand Child Death Review & Prevention Group
- maintains a register of child deaths in NSW;
- classifies deaths in the register according to cause, demographic criteria and other relevant factors, and identifies trends and patterns in relation to those deaths;
- undertakes research that aims to help prevent or reduce the likelihood of child deaths, and to identify areas requiring further research; and
- makes recommendations as to legislation, policies, practices and services for implementation by government and non-government agencies and the community to prevent or reduce the likelihood of child deaths.
The CDRT is required to report to the NSW Parliament about its work and activities.
Links to past reports are given below:
- October 2020: NSW Child Death Review Team Annual Report 2019-20 (describes the operations of the CDRT during the period July 2019 to June 2020)
- October 2019: NSW Child Death Review Report Team Annual Report 2018-19 (describes the operations of the CDRT during the period July 2018 to June 2019)
- Deaths of children in NSW in 2016 and 2017: overview and trends
- June 2019: Biennial report of the deaths of children in New South Wales: 2016 and 2017 - incorporating reviewable deaths of children
- October 2018: NSW Child Death Review Report Team Annual Report 2017-18 (describes the operations of the CDRT during the period July 2017 to June 2018)
- October 2017: NSW Child Death Review Report Team Annual Report 2016-17 (describes the operations of the CDRT during the period July 2016 to June 2017)
- November 2016: NSW Child Death Review Team Report (covering child deaths registered in 2015)
- October 2015: NSW Child Death Review Team Annual Report (covering child deaths registered in 2014)
- October 2014: NSW Child Death Review Team Annual Report (covering child deaths registered in 2013)
- October 2013: NSW Child Death Review Team Annual Report (covering child deaths registered in 2012)
- October 2012: NSW Child Death Review Team Annual Report (covering child deaths registered in 2011)
- October 2011: NSW Child Death Review Team Annual Report (covering child deaths registered in 2010)
Prior to 2016 the CDRT annual report was included in its annual Child death review report. The annual report to Parliament is now prepared and tabled as a separate document, while reports or child death data analysis is tabled every two years describing the operations of the NSW Child Death Review Team during 2016-17.
The CDRT also reports to Parliament on research it undertakes.
If you would like to contact the CDRT or would like more information about its role, contact the CDRT on 02 9286 1000 or email email@example.com.
As well as convening the Child Death Review Team, the Ombudsman reviews and reports on the deaths of certain children, young people and people with disability in care (reviewable deaths).
- Childhood injury prevention - Strategic directions for coordination in NSW - November 2017
- A scan of childhood injury and disease prevention infrastructure in NSW - October 2015
- CDRT submission to the independent review of swimming pool barrier requirements - October 2015
- Child Deaths from Vaccine Preventable Infectious Diseases, NSW 2005-2014 - November 2016
- Spatial analysis of child deaths in NSW - April 2018