Child Death Review Team
The NSW Child Death Review Team (CDRT) reviews the deaths of children in NSW. The purpose of the CDRT is to prevent and reduce child deaths.
The NSW Ombudsman is the CDRT Convenor. The NSW Advocate for Children and Young People and the Community and Disability Services Commissioner are members. Other CDRT members are appointed by the Minister, and include representatives from the Departments of Family and Community Services, Health, Education, Attorney General and Justice, the NSW Police Force, Office of the NSW Coroner and individuals with expertise in relevant fields, particularly healthcare, child protection and research methodology. Staff from the Ombudsman’s office provide support and assistance to the CDRT in the exercise of its functions.
- maintains a register of child deaths in NSW;
- classifies deaths in the register according to cause, demographic criteria and other relevant factors, and identifies trends and patterns in relation to those deaths;
- undertakes research that aims to help prevent or reduce the likelihood of child deaths, and to identify areas requiring further research; and
- makes recommendations as to legislation, policies, practices and services for implementation by government and non-government agencies and the community to prevent or reduce the likelihood of child deaths.
The CDRT is required to report to the NSW Parliament about its work and activities.
Links to past reports are given below:
- October 2017: NSW Child Death Review Report Team Annual Report 2016-17 (covering child deaths registered in 2016-2017)
- November 2016: NSW Child Death Review Team Report (covering child deaths registered in 2015)
- October 2015: NSW Child Death Review Team Annual Report (covering child deaths registered in 2014)
- October 2014: NSW Child Death Review Team Annual Report (covering child deaths registered in 2013)
- October 2013: NSW Child Death Review Team Annual Report (covering child deaths registered in 2012)
- October 2012: NSW Child Death Review Team Annual Report (covering child deaths registered in 2011)
- October 2011: NSW Child Death Review Team Annual Report (covering child deaths registered in 2010)
Prior to 2016 the CDRT annual report was included in its annual Child death review report. The annual report to Parliament is now prepared and tabled as a separate document, while reports or child death data analysis is tabled every two years describing the operations of the NSW Child Death Review Team during 2016-17.
The CDRT also reports to Parliament on research it undertakes.
If you would like to contact the CDRT or would like more information about its role, contact the CDRT on 02 9286 1000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
As well as convening the Child Death Review Team, the Ombudsman reviews and reports on the deaths of certain children, young people and people with disability in care (reviewable deaths).
- Drowning deaths of children (private swimming pools) 2007–2014 - September 2015
- A scan of childhood injury and disease prevention infrastructure in NSW - October 2015
- CDRT submission to the independent review of swimming pool barrier requirements - October 2015
- Child Deaths from Vaccine Preventable Infectious Diseases, NSW 2005-2014 - November 2016
- CDRT fact sheets
- Spatial analysis of child deaths in New South Wales