We cannot handle complaints about
Our legislation limits what matters we can deal with.
For example we cannot investigate the conduct of:
- the governor, parliament, ministers and Members of Parliament
- conduct of NSW Police Force or a member of the NSW Police Force unless the conduct relates to a reportable allegation or reportable conviction (within the meaning of Part 3A or Part 3C).
- courts or court like bodies
- legal advisors acting for public authorities
- ICAC, Law Enforcement Conduct Commission, Casino control authority, Legal services commissioner
- royal commissions
- individual employment related issues
- trusts and investment funds
Schedule 1 of the Ombudsman Act 1974 provides a full list of excluded conduct and bodies under the Act.
We also cannot handle complaints about:
- electricity and gas retailers
- telephone and internet companies
- banks and finance companies
- commonwealth government agencies
- insurance companies
- private companies
For these issues or complaints please follow the link to our Other complaint-handling agencies
- Tips for making a complaint
- Information in other languages
- Annual reports
- Fact sheets