What you can complain about to us
The NSW Ombudsman is an independent integrity agency that holds NSW government agencies and certain non-government organisations accountable to the people of NSW. Through complaint handling, review, monitoring, investigation, advice, training and community education, we seek to improve the administration and delivery of public and community services in NSW.
Our Complaint Assessment Criteria sets out our considerations when deciding which matters we will pursue.
We handle complaints about:
- NSW State government agencies like the Department of Education, The Department of Communities & Justice (DCL), DCJ Housing, NSW Fair Trading, NSW Trustee and Guardian, Revenue NSW, Transport for NSW including Roads and Maritime Services, Department of Planning, Industry and the Environment, Victim Services etc.
- NSW State government statutory bodies: NSW Education Standards Authority, the Rental Bond Board.
- NSW State government state owned corporations: Land & Housing Corporation, Sydney Water, WaterNSW.
- State universities including metropolitan universities: UNSW, Sydney, Macquarie, UTS, Western Sydney, and regionally; Charles Sturt, UNE, Newcastle.
- Local councils, councillors and council staff - we can look at the conduct of councillors and council employees and the administrative conduct of the council itself.
- Custodial services: Corrective Services NSW and Youth Justice and their health provider Justice Health. We also handle complaints about private correctional centres, such as Junee and Parklea and the new centre opening at Grafton.
- Community service providers - including child protection and family support services provided by the Department of Communities & Justice through Community Services, as well as many non-government organisations (NGO)that provide home and community care services, out-of-home care services for children and young people, and supported accommodation and assistance program services. We also still maintain a very small jurisdiction over two Community Services run disability services.
- Public interest disclosures (PID) - We are responsible for promoting public awareness and understanding of the PID Act and monitoring its operation. We provide advice and guidance to public sector staff who are thinking about reporting serious wrongdoing.
- Tips for making a complaint
- Information in other languages
- Annual reports
- Fact sheets