What you can complain about to us
Our complaint handling work is aimed at exposing and eliminating conduct that is illegal, unreasonable, unjust or oppressive, improperly discriminatory, based on improper or irrelevant grounds, based on a mistake of law or fact, or otherwise wrong.
We handle complaints about:
NSW State government departments and authorities such as:
- NSW government bodies: Department of Education, Fair Trading, FACS Housing, Trustee and Guardian, Revenue NSW, Transport for NSW, Roads and Maritime Services, Department of Industry
- Statutory bodies: NSW Education Standards Authority, the Rental Bond Board
- State owned corporations: Sydney Water, WaterNSW
- State universities
Local councils, councillors and council staff - we can look at the conduct of councillors and council employees and the administrative conduct of the council itself.
Custodial services: Corrective Services NSW, Justice Health and the Department of Youth Justice, and also take complaints about private correctional centres, such as Junee and Parklea.
Community service providers - including child protection and related support services provided by Family & Community Services, disability services, home and community care services, out-of-home care services for children and young people, and supported accommodation and assistance program services.
Public interest disclosures (PID) - We are responsible for promoting public awareness and understanding of the PID Act and monitoring its operation. We provide advice and guidance to public sector staff who are thinking about reporting serious wrongdoing.
- Tips for making a complaint
- Information in other languages
- Annual reports
- Fact sheets