Our Public Interest Disclosures Unit
The NSW Ombudsman is responsible for overseeing the implementation of the public interest disclosures system by the NSW Public Sector and promoting its objectives by:
- promoting public awareness and understanding of the system
- providing the public sector with training, information, advice, assistance and guidance
- monitoring and auditing the implementation of the system by the public service
- chairing a Steering Committee that comprises representatives from the investigating authorities and significant areas of the public sector
- reporting to and making recommendations to government about how the system could be improved.
The NSW Ombudsman has established the Public Interest Disclosures Unit (PID Unit) to fulfill these responsibilities.
The PID Unit’s objectives are to:
- increase awareness of the procedures for making public interest disclosures and the protections provided by the PID Act
- improve the handling of disclosures and the protection and support for people who make them
- improve identification and remedying of problems and deficiencies revealed by disclosures
- ensure an effective statutory framework is in place for the making and management of disclosures and for the protection and support of the people who make them.
Contact the PID Unit at email@example.com or on 02 9286 1000 or toll free (outside metro area) on 1800 451 524 for further information and inquiries.