NSW Ombudsman Jurisdiction

The NSW Ombudsman has a limited jurisdiction. We can receive only certain complaints about NSW public authorities and certain NSW Government funded community service providers.

You may have an enquiry about matters we cannot help you with, like the ones below:



You don’t want to complain, but you have a question about a NSW Government agency or service (If you want to complain contact us)

Service NSW 13 77 88

Staying safe during the COVID-19 pandemic

You should consult the NSW Health website www.health.nsw.gov.au or www.nsw.gov.au or contact HealthDirect on 1800-022-222.

You have a question about rent assistance or a tenancy matter

Rent assistanceDept of Community & Justice Housing Services

Tenancy mattersLawAccess or Fair Trading

About the NSW Police Force

Contact the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission

About your entitlement to welfare or other benefits relating to loss of employment; agencies like Centrelink, ATO (Aust Taxation Office), Child Support…?

These are Commonwealth government agencies and you need to contact the  Commonwealth Ombudsman or the Commonwealth government:

About your bank, building society, insurance company or superannuation?

You should speak to your bank or building society and if you remain dissatisfied contact the Australian Financial Services Complaints Authority

About your energy or water provider or a recent bill?

Contact the Energy and Water Ombudsman NSW

About your phone or internet provider

Contact the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman

About other private shops and businesses

LawAccess or Fair Trading

Need wellbeing or other support

Beyond Blue and Lifeline or Google ‘support services near me’

General legal advice


Search publications

I am looking for:

In the publication category: