Agreements with agencies
Under our legislation, we can enter into arrangements with other agencies about a range of matters, including complaint handling, sharing of information and referral of complaints. Our legislation also allows us to negotiate formal agreements with some agencies about how contact with our office will be managed. These agreements are publicly available and can be obtained by contacting our office.
We categorise these arrangements as follows:
Memorandum of understanding
We negotiate a memorandum of understanding with an agency to either ensure clarity of roles in circumstances where we may have overlapping jurisdiction or to document procedures to be followed by an agency when responding to our informal investigations and inquiries. A memorandum of understanding can be negotiated under legislative provisions or at our discretion.
- Memorandum of understanding between NSW Ombudsman and the NSW Information Commissioner [PDF, 176.2KB]
- Memorandum of understanding between NSW Ombudsman and the Office of Local Government [PDF, 377.4KB]
- Memorandum of understanding between the Inspector of Custodial Services and the NSW Ombudsman December 2014 [PDF, 210.0KB]
Information sharing and complaint referral arrangements
From time to time we may need to disclose information that we receive during the course of our work to another agency. We have a formal agreement with those relevant agencies that provides for the circumstances in which we can disclose information.
- Information sharing arrangement with the Anti-Discrimination NSW, Legal Services Commissioner, Health Care Complaints Commission and the Privacy Commissioner [PDF, 222.1KB]
- Complaint referral arrangement with the Anti-Discrimination NSW, Legal Services Commissioner, Health Care Complaints Commission and the Privacy Commissioner [PDF, 99.6KB]
- Memorandum Of Understanding between the NSW Ombudsman and Audit Office of NSW [PDF, 112.4KB]
- Memorandum of Understanding NSW Ombudsman and Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW [PDF, 1.8MB]
Occasionally, we may receive complaints that are either outside our jurisdiction or would be better managed by another complaint-handling agency. We have formal agreements with those relevant agencies that set out the circumstances where we can refer such complaints.