Disability awareness training
Over 20% of Australians have a disability. This workshop has been developed to empower you to work effectively and confidently with people with disabilities, and to explore strategies for establishing a disability-friendly workplace. It provides a general awareness of disability and focuses on attitudinal and practical issues for people with disabilities.
Who should attend
All staff from government and non-government sectors.
This training will help you to:
- explore a short history of disability
- examine definitions and types of disability
- learn appropriate language and terminology
- challenge myths and stereotypes
- gain insight into critical issues for people with disabilities
- learn appropriate communication strategies
- find out about the key legislation in the disability sector
- learn about key program areas in the disability services sector
- hear personal experiences from the presenter and/or guest speakers
You will also have the opportunity to participate in scenarios and exercises which foster empathy and enhanced communication with people with a disability.
This is a one-day workshop from 9.30am-3.30pm.
There are currently no events for this workshop.