Custodial services

People in custody, or offenders in the community, can complain to us about problems with Corrective Services NSW, the privately run correctional centres at Junee and Parklea, Justice Health, NSW Police, Juvenile Justice or any other NSW government agency.

We have a specialist custodial services unit with six staff. They each have a thorough understanding of the operational aspects of the correctional and juvenile justice systems, as well as experience in working within the unique and complex environments they present. Our custodial services unit is assisted by other Ombudsman staff to provide our extensive program of visits to correctional centres and juvenile justice centres. When large-scale investigations are undertaken, such as the one involving Kariong Juvenile Correctional Centre, they are also able to call on the expertise of specialist investigators from within our office.

Although inmates and detainees can always contact us by telephone or in writing to make a complaint, we also travel across the state to visit adult correctional centres and juvenile justice centres to take complaints, speak with staff, resolve issues and observe conditions and routines.

Visits to centres provide people in custody with an opportunity to raise any concerns about government or community services directly with our staff. During our visits we also speak with senior managers, observe the conditions and amenities in the centres and check paperwork. Many of the complaints and concerns we receive are handled informally through contact with senior staff at the centre.

The links below provide more specific information about making complaints.

Corrective Services

Juvenile Justice

Families or visitors

Contacting the Ombudsman

Search publications

I am looking for:

In the publication category: