PID steering committee
Amendments to the Public Interest Disclosures Act 1994 (PID Act) in 2011 established the Public Interest Disclosures Steering Committee. The Committee’s members are:
- The Ombudsman, the Chair of the Committee
- The Director General of the Department of Premier and Cabinet
- The Auditor General
- The Commissioner for the Independent Commission Against Corruption
- The Commissioner for the Police Integrity Commission
- The Chief Executive of the Division of Local Government, Department of Premier and Cabinet
- The Police Commissioner, and
- The Information Commissioner
The Committee is responsible for:
- providing advice to the Premier on the operation of the PID Act and making recommendations for reform
- providing advice to the Premier on reports from the Ombudsman in relation to the Ombudsman’s functions under the PID Act.
- reviewing any Commonwealth legislation that is introduced in response to the 2009 report Whistleblower protection: A comprehensive scheme for the Commonwealth public sector of the House of Representatives Standing Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs.
- consulting with and providing advice to the Parliamentary Committee on the Independent Commission Against Corruption to inform their review of the PID Act.
The Ombudsman provides secretariat support to the Committee and is also responsible for preparing an annual report on the Committee’s work.
The terms of reference set out the Committee's responsibilites and the meeting schedule.
If you want to contact the PID steering committee or would like more information about its role, contact the PID unit on 02 9286 1000 or email.