Child Death Review Team
The NSW Child Death Review Team (CDRT) reviews the deaths of children in NSW. The purpose of the CDRT is to prevent and reduce child deaths.
By law, the NSW Ombudsman is the CDRT Convenor and the NSW Advocate for Children and Young People and the Community and Disability Services Commissioner are members. Other CDRT members are appointed by the Minister. They include representatives from the Departments of Family and Community Services, Health, Education and Communities, Attorney General and Justice, the NSW Police Force, and Office of the NSW Coroner; and individuals with expertise in relevant fields, particularly healthcare, child protection and research methodology. Staff from the Ombudsman’s office provide support and assistance to the Team in the exercise of its functions.
- maintains a register of child deaths in NSW;
- classifies deaths in the register according to cause, demographic criteria and other relevant factors, and identifies trends and patterns in relation to those deaths;
- undertakes research that aims to help prevent or reduce the likelihood of child deaths, and to identify areas requiring further research; and
- makes recommendations as to legislation, policies, practices and services for implementation by government and non-government agencies and the community to prevent or reduce the likelihood of child deaths.
The CDRT is required to report to the NSW Parliament about its work and activities. Up to and including the report tabled in October 2015, the CDRT’s annual reports included data collected and analysed in relation to child deaths registered in NSW in the previous calendar year.
- October 2015: NSW Child Death Review Team Annual Report (covering child deaths registered in 2014)
- October 2014: NSW Child Death Review Team Annual Report (covering child deaths registered in 2013)
- October 2013: NSW Child Death Review Team Annual Report (covering child deaths registered in 2012)
- October 2012: NSW Child Death Review Team Annual Report (covering child deaths registered in 2011)
- October 2011: NSW Child Death Review Team Annual Report (covering child deaths registered in 2010)
In late 2016, the CDRT will publish its final annual report of data collected and analysed in relation to child deaths, covering deaths that occurred in NSW in 2015. After that, the CDRT will table its reports on child deaths every two years.
From 2016, the CDRT’s annual report of operations will be included in the report of the NSW Ombudsman.
The CDRT also reports to Parliament on research it undertakes.
If you would like to contact the CDRT or would like more information about its role, contact the CDRT on 02 9286 1000 or email email@example.com.
As well as convening the Child Death Review Team, the Ombudsman reviews and reports on the deaths of certain children, young people and people with disability in care (called reviewable deaths).
- Causes of death of children with a child protection history 2002-2011 Special report to Parliament - April 2014
- Drowning deaths of children (private swimming pools) 2007–2014 - September 2015
- A scan of childhood injury and disease prevention infrastructure in NSW - October 2015
- CDRT submission to the independent review of swimming pool barrier requirements - October 2015
- Issues Paper: Child deaths - private swimming pools - May 2012
- Report for the NSW Child Death Review Team on Measuring Socioeconomic Status - May 2012